Saturday 15 January 2011

Back again .....

After not having been to South Africa for almost 2 years, I have now visited twice in the last 6 months. And I am happy as South Africa in spring and early summer, is a great place for birds. Although it was a family Christmas holiday, I did manage to get out a little.

The first 10 days were spent in Pietermaritzburg and while there I did manage to get to Nottingham Road area for a day. Basides the hadeda ibis and Egyptian geese tha woke me every morning, there are some great birds in the gardens in the city.

Forked-tailed drongo sunning feathers after some cool, wet weather ......

White-bellied sunbird: female building a nest in a macadamia nut tree.

A pair of southern grey-headed sparrows.

Diedrick's cuckoo

A bathing dark-capped bulbul .....

A jackal buzzard looking for food .......

 I probably could have got a list of at least 50 species by just sitting in the garden for a day or two .... provided I got up early to see who belonged to the dawn chorus.

No comments:

Post a Comment