Monday 29 November 2010

A little bit of birding paradise! Part I

I very seldom get there, but when I do I enjoy it immensely! The reserve is a little off the beaten track and the final 12 kilometres of road can be a little rough at times. However, Mkhuze Game Reserve is a place of great beauty and is well known to birders as there are more than 420 bird species in the reserve. The reserve has a good diversity of natural habitats that include mountains along its eastern boundary, acacia savannah, swamps, a variety of woodlands and riverine forest. In addition to the birds, there are a wide range of animals (including the big five). Just a beautiful place to feed to soul and re-energize.





 
When it has rained (this region is often desperately dry) the pans are full of birdlife and hippos. A beautiful place, even without the wildlife.


 
Although I only spent a day in the reserve, here are some of the birds I saw:








 
Well that is just a sample and you will just have to wait for the next instalment ..........

No comments:

Post a Comment